South Devon Veterinary Hospital offers a wide range of diagnostic services that help us accurately diagnose medical conditions. As well as the services described in the menu we are also able to provide:
- Blood pressure monitoring.
- ECG (Electrocardiogram)- to measure electrical activity of the heart.
- ERG (Electroretinography) – to measure the function of the retina in the eye.
- Tonometry – to measure the pressure within the eye.
- Direct and indirect ophthalmoscopy and slit lamps- to closely examine the eye.
Medical standard CT imaging
South Devon Veterinary Hospital has an onsite CT scanner. We are the first on-site veterinary CT service in Devon or Cornwall using a medical standard fan beam CT scanner.
CT scanning uses X-rays to produce a 3D image, which means there is no superimposition of different structure. It allows accurate diagnosis and treatment planning of a wide range of conditions that previously was not possible for our cat, dog, rabbit, exotic and other patients.
Our Toshiba Aquilion Lightning is a brand new 16-row helical CT system. We have opted for a highly specified model with the latest advances developed in the human medical field rather than a secondhand system or a “veterinary specific” lower specified system. This brings a range of benefits to our patients, including:
- the ability to scan all body areas (including e.g. the chest) in thin slices with shorter scan times (avoiding movement artifacts), and in extremely high quality;
- extra wide gantry bore (allowing better patient positioning even for the largest dogs);
- sophisticated processing that greatly reduces artifacts from metal implants/ microchips chips etc;
- advanced exposure management that produces higher quality images at lower exposure settings.
Our service is provided in partnership with a team of Diploma holding radiologists from VetCT Consultants in Telemedicine (a UK based specialist service), ensuring every case receives specialist interpretation.