About the role
A rare opportunity has arisen for a Practice Manager to join our team at an exciting time in the growth of our Veterinary Hospital and Referral service. The Practice Manager works with the other members of the Practice Management Team (consisting of two Clinical Directors and a Clinical Services Manager) to ensure we provide an outstanding and professional service to our clients, their pets and referring practices.
We want someone adaptable and enthusiastic who relishes the challenge of a job that includes: setting up processes for routine tasks and ensuring they run smoothly on a day to day basis; managing unexpected sudden changes in working environment be that due to staff shortage, computer system failure or COVID (!); working strategically on long-term projects that help reshape and grow the business in the future. The scope of the role is wide, including: personnel management; dealing with client concerns and complaints; debt control; Health and Safety; applications of Group policies and procedures; reviewing financial spreadsheets and budgeting; ensuring reliable running of practice management computer systems; marketing; premises management; and much more!
About the practice
We have been open since 2009 in our purpose built practice to the highest hospital standards. In addition to the first opinion work, we offer referrals in Ophthalmology, Endoscopy, Surgery, Orthopaedics, Dermatology, CT scanning and Cardiology.
The practice is exceptionally equipped e.g. on site CT scanner, digital X-ray, digital dental X-ray, range of flexible videoscopes/ fibre bronchoscope, rigid endoscopes, laparoscopy/thoracoscopy equipment, multiple capnographs/multiparameter monitors, ultrasound with range of probes, full range of surgical equipment, specialist ophthalmology equipment (slit lamps, tonometers, operating microscope etc).
You can find out lots more about the hospital on our two websites: southdevonvets.co.uk and southdevonref.co.uk.
We are located in Abbotskerswell, a lovely village in the heart of South Devon between the sea and Dartmoor. It’s a great location for outdoor activities, but also with really easy access to the larger centres of Exeter, Torbay and Plymouth.
Previous Veterinary experience is not essential for this role but managerial and leadership experience would be advantageous. You must be able to motivate employees and deal with issues that may arise so that the vets can focus on helping animals.
The right applicant for this role will appreciate that what we need is not just someone who meets a list of requirements! Skills and knowledge that would be useful in the role include:
- strong leadership and planning skills;
- organisational and office management;
- human resource Management;
- financial management;
- development and application of health and safety protocols;
- IT (including MS office applications, websites and social media, practice management systems, HR systems; able to learn new systems, troubleshoot, and teach others);
- effective team management on a daily basis and the ability to work effectively with others as part of a team and facilitate their success as well as your own;
- ability to communicate tactfully both verbally and in writing with a broad spectrum of professionals including veterinary clinicians, nurses, administrative colleagues and clients;
- comfortable working in a high-volume, fast paced environment;
- ability to independently prioritise and re-prioritise a time-sensitive workload;
- awareness of personal strengths and weaknesses;
- able to demonstrate integrity;
- self motivated and confident.
How to apply
In the first instance, please contact Claire Challinor, Recruitment Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org